Thursday 28 August 2014

The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells


A shipwreck in the South Seas, a palm-tree paradise where a mad doctor conducts vile experiments, animals that become human and then "beastly" in ways they never were before -- it's the stuff of high adventure. It's also a parable about Darwinian theory, a social satire in the vein of Jonathan Swift (Gulliver's Travels), and a bloody tale of horror. 



*** Rated 3 Stars ***



This is the first H.G Wells book I have ever read, though I'm not sure why. I've always wanted to, just another thing I never got around to. 

It has made me want to read more from the same author though. The story is very well written and I find it amazing, especially considering how long ago it was written. In fact its a story that could have been written recently if you don't consider some of the 'old fashioned' words used.

I read the book in one sitting, as I kept wanting to see what would happen next. It is a slightly disturbing story and makes you think about the consequences of meddling too much with nature.

A good read!

No comments:

Post a Comment